Event Date & Time:
Sunday, 7 October 2018, 8:00am (main course first heat); 11:00am (Super Youth)
Also view a schematic map (PDF) of the course.
Super Sprint Main Course Information:
The Super Sprint main course is open to participants aged 9 and up. This is a standard super sprint distance triathlon consisting of:
- 400 meter (0.24 mile) swim followed by
- 10 km (6.05 mile) bike ride and then
- 3 km (1.9 mile) run
- The swim
- 17 lengths (25 yards/length) or 8.5 laps (50 yards/lap) in the outdoor pool of the Albany Aquatics center. This is 425y, which is a little shorter than 400m.
- 15-minute heats of 20 swimmers (max) per heat with 2 people splitting each lane. This time includes 1-2 min at the end to clear pool and prep for the next heat.
- Seeding into heats is generally by age group + sex with exceptions for the the beginning heat and family/friends preferences:
- The first 1 or 2 heats will be reserved for the faster/more experienced triathletes (especially fast cyclists).
- The later heats will be for family heat(s) and less-experienced athletes.
- The registration form provides a way to indicate your desire to be in an early or late heat, your triathlon experience, and preference to be in the same or different heat as another participant.
- Kickboard okay, but not other flotation devices.
- The bike course
- consists of 11 laps around a 0.55 mile loop on the streets encircling the pool + park + high school clockwise. This is about 6.05 miles, a little shorter than 10K.
- Bike route (map):
- Start on Portland Ave in front of Aquatic Center, heading West
- right turn onto Key Route.
- right turn onto Thousands Oaks
- right turn onto Carmel
- continue looping along the same route, counting loops as you pass the Aquatic center.
- Bike helmet is required and no drafting is allowed, per USAT rules.
- The run course
- is 3.5 laps on the same loop as the bike course, running in a counter-clockwise direction (opposite to the bike direction)
- run on the sidewalk or on the road near the curb where sidewalk is not available or in bad condition.
- New for 2018: Runners will be diverted around the back of the transition area (near the tennis court fence) to avoid crossing the path of cyclists exiting & entering the transition area.
- It’s best to think of the run as 4 laps with a partial 4th lap: On the 4th lap, you exit the sidewalk from Thousand Oaks and head down the alley way next to the Albany High gym, finishing near the basketball courts.
The transition area (T1 and T2) will be on the grassy field between the tennis courts and the sidewalk (less than 50 yards from the pool exit).
This race is not USAT sanctioned, primarily since the focus is on new triathletes. However, seasoned triathletes are definitely welcome! The early swim heats will be reserved for experienced triathletes and fast cyclists to minimize interactions with slower racers. On the registration form, indicate your preference for an early heat if you are an experienced triathlete or fast cyclist.
Think you’re fast? Then consider signing up for the “Beat-A-Triathlete” challenge!
Super Youth Short Course
The super youth short course is for participants ages 7-10 and will take place after the final swim heat completes on the main super sprint course (estimated: 11am). This is a short version of the super sprint main course, about 30% as long overall.
New for 2018: The Super Youth course is different from previous years: now ~3x longer with a minimum participant age of 7 and a max age of 10. Nine and 10 year olds have the option of competing in either the main course or the Super Youth course, depending on their experience level.
The Super Youth course consists of the following legs:
- 69 meter (75 yard) swim followed by
- 2.6 km (1.6 mile) bike ride and then
- 1.3 km (0.8 mile) run
- The kids swim
- three lengths of the outdoor 25y pool of the Albany Aquatics center
- two swimmers splitting each lane.
- kickboard okay, but not other flotation devices.
- The kids bike course
- three laps around a 0.55 mile loop on the streets encircling the pool + park + high school clockwise as described for the main course above.
- bike helmet is required and no drafting is allowed, per USAT rules.
- The kids run course
- 1½ laps running on the mixed sidewalk or turf just inside the road in a counter-clockwise direction and finishing down the alley way next to the Albany High gym. The kids run course is the same as the final two laps of the main super sprint run course.