Event Date & Time:
1 October 2017, 8:00am (first heat start)
Also view a schematic map (PDF) of the course.
Main Course Information:
The main course is for participants ages 9 and up. This is a standard “super sprint” distance triathlon consisting of:
- 400 meter (0.25 mile) swim followed by
- 10 km (6.2 mile) bike ride and then
- 3 km (1.9 mile) run
- The swim
- in the outdoor pool of the Albany Aquatics center.
- 15-minute heats of 18 swimmers (max) per heat with 2 people splitting each lane. This time includes 1-2 min at the end to clear pool and prep for the next heat.
- 400m is approx. 17 lengths (25 yards/length) or 8.5 laps (50 yards/lap).
- Seeding into heats is by age group + sex with exceptions for the the beginning heat and family/friends preferences:
- The first 1 or 2 heats will be reserved for the faster/more experienced triathletes (especially fast cyclists).
- The later heats will be for family heat(s) and less-experienced athletes.
- The registration form provides a way to indicate your desire to be in an early heat, your triathlon experience, or in the same heat as a family/friend participant.
- The bike course
- consists of 11 laps around a 0.55 mile loop on the streets encircling the pool + park + high school clockwise.
- Bike route (map):
- Start on Portland Ave in front of Aquatic Center, heading West
- right turn onto Key Rte.
- right turn onto Thousands Oaks
- right turn onto Carmel
- continue looping along the same route, counting loops as you pass the Aquatic center.
- Bike helmet is required and no drafting is allowed, per USAT rules.
- The run course
- is ~4 laps on the same loop as the bike course, running on the mixed sidewalk or turf just inside the road in a counter-clockwise direction. The 4th lap is partial: you exit the sidewalk and head down the alley way next to the Albany High gym, finishing near the basketball courts.
The transition area (T1 and T2) will be on the grassy field between the tennis courts and the sidewalk (less than 50 yards from the pool exit).
This race is not USAT sanctioned, primarily since the focus is on triathlon newbies. However, seasoned triathletes are definitely welcome! The early swim heats will be reserved for experienced triathletes and fast cyclists to minimize interactions with slower racers. On the registration form, indicate your preference for an early heat if you are an experienced triathlete or fast cyclist.
Think you’re fast? Then consider signing up for the “Beat-A-Triathlete” challenge!
Super Youth Course
New for 2016! The super youth course is for participants ages 5-8 and will take place after the final swim heat completes on the main course (at 11am). This is a mini version of the main course consisting of:
- 25 yard swim followed by
- 0.5 mile bike ride and then
- 0.25 mile run
- The super swim
- one length of the outdoor pool of the Albany Aquatics center
- 2 swimmers splitting each lane.
- kickboard okay.
- The super bike course
- one lap around a 0.55 mile loop on the streets encircling the pool + park + high school clockwise.
- bike helmet is required and no drafting is allowed, per USAT rules.
- The super run course
- is a single, partial lap running on the mixed sidewalk or turf just inside the road in a counter-clockwise direction and finishing down the alley way next to the Albany High gym. The super youth run course is the same as the final lap of the main run course.