The community of Albany, California invites you to participate in a super short, super FUN, beginner-friendly, spectator-friendly triathlon on September 27th, 2014! The event will be held in and around the Albany Aquatics Center, recently renovated in 2012. The goal of the triathlon is to raise funds for Albany high school sports programs (PAHS), promote fitness in the community, and showcase just how fun a multisport event can be!
The event is open to everyone ages 9 and up, especially those who've never done a triathon before but would like to give it a go on an easy, local course without a huge financial committment.
Special Features:INDIVIDUAL & RELAY TEAM ENTRY. New for 2014: Register as an individual or as a part of a multi-person relay team where different people do different legs of the event (swim, bike, run). Relay teams consist of 2-3 people and will compete against other relay teams in the final rankings. Teams can be composed of adults, all youth (18 & under), or mixed adult + youth.
YOUTH & STUDENT DISCOUNTS. New for 2014: Youths (age 18 and under) get $10 off the individual entry fee for adults ($45) and $12 off the relay team entry fee ($66). Current students of any Albany Unified K-12 school will save even more by receiving a $10 refund upon completing the event!
FAMILY & FRIENDS HEAT. When you register, you can indicate your desire to be in the same heat as other participants (son, daughter, spouse, or other friends). Then you can compete together & keep an eye on each other during the race (but not assist each other, per triathlon rules).
BEAT-A-TRIATHLETE CHALLENGE. Athletes can boost their fundraising efforts by pledging to donate an extra dollar amount for everyone that can beat their time, up to a limit. Relay teams can also register for this challenge. In 2013, one of the event co-organizers offered $10/person and only had to pay up an extra $10. He plans to do this again!
POST-RACE FESTIVITIES. Stick around after the race to recover with some healthy food, finisher awards, raffle prizes, massages, and schmoozing with fellow participants, volunteers, sponsors, and race organizers.
When & Where:8:00 am on 27 September 2014 at Albany Memorial Park located at 1325 Portland Avenue.
Course Information:This is a standard "super sprint" distance triathlon consisting of:
- a 400 meter swim followed by
- a 10 km bike ride and then
- a 3 km run
Here's a video tour of the course!
- The swim
- will take place in the outdoor pool in 15-minute heats of 18 swimmers (max) per heat with 2 people splitting each lane. This time includes 2-3 min at the end to clear pool and prep for next heat.
- 400m is approximately 17 lengths (25 yards/length) or 8.5 laps (50 yards/lap).
- Seeding into heats will be by age group + sex with
exceptions for the the beginning heats and the family/friends
- The first 1 or 2 heats will be reserved for the faster/more experienced athletes.
- The final 1-2 heats will be longer (20 min) for the family heat(s) and folks needing more time to complete the swim.
- The registration form provides a way to indicate your desire to be in an early heat and your general swimming speed.
- Before you register: know the time it takes you to swim 100 yards (that's 4 lengths of the Albany outdoor pool).
- The bike course
- consists of 11 laps around a 0.55 mile loop on the streets encircling the pool + park + high school clockwise.
- Bike helmet is required and no drafting is allowed, per USAT rules
- The run course
- is 4 laps on the same loop as the bike course, running on the mixed sidewalk or turf just inside the road in a counter-clockwise direction.
This race is not USAT sanctioned, primarily since the focus is on triathlon newbies. However, seasoned triathletes are definitely welcome! The first 1 or 2 swim heats will be reserved for experienced triathletes and fast swimmers or cyclists to minimize interactions with slower racers. On the registration form, check the checkbox to indicate your preference for the first heat.
"Beat-A-Triathlete" challenge: Experienced triathletes are especially encouraged to sign up for the "Beat-A-Triathlete" challenge wherein you pledge to donate an extra dollar amount for everyone that can beat your time.
- On the registration form you can indicate how much you're willing to donate for each person that beats you, and what your total donation limit is (if any).
- You can also decide the size of the field you want to compete against: all participants or just the members of your 10-year age group.
- The amount of your donation will be determined after official race results are computed. Proceeds will go to our fundraising target (PAHS).
- All Beat-A-Triathletes will receive a certificate of appreciation and will be entered in a raffle for a special prize!
Registration:Individual registration: $45 will get you into this fun event, but don't delay! The price increases to $50 after September 14 and then increases to $55 on race day. Youths 18 and under save $10 off of those prices. Logo t-shirt and a water bottle will be included with registration fee while supplies last.
Group registration is now available for 2014. Register as a team for $66 and split the swim, bike, and run legs between 2 or 3 different individuals. Group registration fee goes up to $72 after Sep 14 and up to $78 on race day. Youth teams 18 and under save $12 off those prices. Mixed teams containing adults & kids are also permitted and save $6 off the adult team price.
Secure your spot & swag today and save $$. Register on Active.com, the official registration website for this event via the "Register Now" button below:
Previous year's results:
- Results for 2013:
- Results for 2012: